Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Better Healthcare Experiences Elsewhere

I have watched SICKO in the past and before that watching it, I never really thought about other country’s health care systems. I figured that if healthcare had to be paid for in the U.S., it would be the same elsewhere. Nothing is free anywhere right, especially not health care, I thought. My family and I have received health care through private insurances, Medi-Cal, and the free community clinics at some point in my life. My experiences with all of them have some criticism to each. With insurance, it was always expensive as far as premiums and deductibles. Co-payments were reasonable but when we had to pay for prescriptions it sometimes became expensive. With the Medi-Cal we always had to get approval for certain services, go to certain clinics, wait months for appointments, and sometimes by then our income levels rose and we would be dropped from the program. With free-clinics, for available appointments you have to schedule months ahead, and drop-in waiting time ranges from 2-4 hours, with appointments you still have to wait at least an hour and then most specialty services are not free.

As for the healthcare in other countries, I have heard a few stories and have a few of my own. Four years ago, I decided to study abroad. Before our departure, our school offered us an insurance to buy for our stay. I rarely get sick so I didn’t think I needed the insurance. I left to Italy without insurance. During my stay, I got sick once and as I walked into the doctors office I waited no more than 20 minutes, saw the doctor, got my prescription and then asked the doctor what the fee was for the doctor’s visit. To my surprise, she said I had to pay nothing. I thanked the doctor and left quickly thinking there probably was a mistake. To what I remember the medicine I purchased was not as expensive as I expected from U.S. prices. My friend’s father went to London to visit family about 6 years ago. During his visit he got really ill from pneumonia and needed to be rushed to the hospital. His emergency visit and services cost him nothing. I believe he only had to pay for prescriptions. When I hear stories, such as these I wonder how much the U.S. would improve the health of individuals if services weren’t so expensive and inaccessible.

No comments:

Post a Comment