Sunday, March 8, 2009

In Canada...

While I am a proponent of nationalized healthcare, single payer systems, etc., I feel it's important to acknowledge that these systems are usually far from perfect. For example, I "know a guy who knew a guy" (actually it's my uncle who has a friend...) who lives in Canada, and while his Canadian citizenship entitles him to free medical care, including all the costs of the surgery for his "potentially dangerous but slow-growing cancer." Apparently, because my uncle's friend's tumor could potentially have become dangerous but was thought to be slow growing, he was told that his the earliest time he could have his operation was 3 months from the time he was diagnosed. While I can see the reasoning behind giving a "non-emergency" tumor lower priority (people who are at risk of iminent death should be first in line for care etc.), I can also see how perturbing it would be a for someone who was just told that they have a tumor that they would be unable to have it removed for at least 3 months. My uncle's friend flew to the states shortly after to have his operation done here.

On the other hand, I have a friend in Canada who recently told me about how they were sick during final exams, and that they managed to be seen by a doctor, get a prescription, and pick-up their medication (for free, of course) in less than 90 minutes. Maybe these systems are only beneficial if you have a cold?

No comments:

Post a Comment